[aur-general] Copyrighted source on https://aur.archlinux.org/

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 25 17:21:41 UTC 2019

On 6/25/19 12:09 PM, Daniel Berjón Díez via aur-general wrote:
> Hi Santiago, all,
>
> I'm very new to Arch and I don't know if the package I'm going to put
> forward as an example violates itself any AUR rule, but for instance
> 'ufsd-pro-dkms' [1] depends on a file that is not freely distributable, and
> the PKGBUILD has a file:// URL, so the user has to procure the file herself
> to build it; maybe this solution is more reasonable than deleting the
> package altogether, so that users that do want to install it don't have to
> create their own PKGBUILD needlessly.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> [1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=ufsd-pro-dkms

The package you just linked is actually a perfect example of our
official policy. :)

Packages with source code that is not publicly available are supposed to
be described using just the filename, and typically come with
instructions to obtain the file manually and save it to the same
directory as the PKGBUILD.

That being said, ufsd-pro-dkms and other packages like it should really
be using "local://" not "file://", as the former is special cased in
makepkg as "you need to obtain this yourself", while the latter is a
type of link that /usr/bin/curl understands and will try to download
from the local filesystem.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User