[aur-general] Copyrighted source on https://aur.archlinux.org/

Daniel Berjón Díez asuranceturix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 18:52:25 UTC 2019

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 17:14, Santiago Torres-Arias via aur-general <
aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> 2) It appears that the copyright owner is Adapco, not siemens. IIUC
>    Siemens bought Adapco on 2016. Did you guys forget to update
>    the copyright notice or is this an old tarball that was distributed
>    before?

Apparently the link comes from the SVN of VisIt [1], a visualisation and
analysis software by the Department of Energy of the US Government.
According to the building notes of version 1.9.0 of VisIt [2], it is
apparent that the disputed library could be freely accessed from the FTP
server of Adapco [3] back then. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know if this
holds any weight, but it doesn't appear like someone stole the code, it
looks plausible that the VisIt developers secured permission to
redistribute it at some point.

[1]: https://wci.llnl.gov/simulation/computer-codes/visit/
[2]: http://visit.ilight.com/svn/visit/tags/1.9.0/src/BUILD_NOTES
[3]: ftp://ftp.adapco.com/pub/outgoing/libccmio-2.6.1.tar.gz

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 02:53:36PM +0000, Jones, Philip via aur-general
> wrote:
> > Jerome
> >
> > I appreciate that the package (
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libccmio/) is not hosted on the site
> but if you Google " libccmio-2.6.1.tar.gz" it is the top hit.
> >
> > The source has a copyright that states  “The unauthorized use,
> distribution, or duplication of this program is prohibited.”

The key word to me seems "unauthorized". Do we know for a fact that the US
Gov. did not secure permission to redistribute this code?