[aur-general] Are AUR VCS packages that depend on AUR VCS packages from other projects a good idea and who should decide on that ?

Robin Broda arch-ml at coderobe.net
Mon May 6 09:57:02 UTC 2019

On 5/5/19 12:24 AM, Lone_Wolf wrote:
> I have decided how to proceed with mesa trunk / llvm trunk building.
>
> There are now 6 lone_wolf-* packages in AUR that show how I want to do things.
>

> Although Scimmia intensely disliked it, I have implemented the environment variable idea in lone_wolf-mesa-git .
>
> First tests are promising, I could succesfully build mesa trunk against stable llvm with this command :
>
> lone_wolf_use_llvm=4 makepkg -Crs
>
> After some more testing I'll use the same method in lone_wolf-lib32-mesa-git .
>

> Whether those PKGBUILDs will be used in future aur mesa-git , exclusively in aur lone_wolf-* packages or not present in AUR at all is a decision TUs must take.
>

> I uploaded my first AUR package somewhere in 2006 and would hate to have to take my packages elsewhere.
>
> However TUs have always been the people that administer AUR not the users. IF TUs tell me my packages are not wanted in AUR I have to follow my own personal standards and remove the packages.
>
> Waiting for a decision, Lone_Wolf

>Rules of Submission[1]

Make sure the package you want to upload is useful. Will anyone else want to use this package? Is it extremely specialized? If more than a few people would find this package useful, it is appropriate for submission.

A package so specialized that you have to prefix it with your username because you cannot think of anything more useful does not comply with this rule, fwiw.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Rules_of_submission

--
Rob (coderobe)