[aur-general] Are AUR VCS packages that depend on AUR VCS packages from other projects a good idea and who should decide on that ?

Lone_Wolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Tue May 7 17:00:26 UTC 2019

On 06-05-2019 12:37, Robin Broda via aur-general wrote:
> On 5/6/19 12:28 PM, Lone_Wolf wrote:
>> Quoting myself :
>>
>> On 05-05-2019 00:24, Lone_Wolf wrote:
>>> Whether those PKGBUILDs will be used in future aur mesa-git , exclusively in aur lone_wolf-* packages or not present in AUR at all is a decision TUs must take.
>>>
>> If no decision has been reached by june 3, I'll submit deletion requests for those 6 packages myself.
>>
>> LVV
> What decision is there to be reached by anyone?
>
> I am a TU and I merely quoted a page off our Wiki to you.
>
> Going by that "rule", I don't think lone_wolf-* packages have a place in the AUR.
> Unless you can figure out a better, fitting name.
>
> As it stands i still don't see how these pkgbuilds solve anything.
> Now, instead of editing one word in the PKGBUILD you supply an env var...

It seems I overreacted and hijacked my own thread.

I also made several mistakes and may have (unintentionally) offended people.

I apoligise to all posters in & readers of this thread.

There are decisions that need to be made, but I'm the one that needs to
make them , not TUs.

I do need to do some serious thinking and will keep radiosilence during
the thinking.

Some unfinished business :

Robin, you do have a valid point about lone_wolf-* not being good
package names.

If my creativity is not enough to chose good names, I should ask help
with picking names instead of choosing bad ones.

The question this thread started with is still valid

Are AUR VCS packages that depend on AUR VCS packages from other projects
a good idea and who should decide on that ?

Lone_Wolf

I have some serious thinking to do