[aur-general] Are AUR VCS packages that depend on AUR VCS packages from other projects a good idea and who should decide on that ?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue May 7 17:42:16 UTC 2019

On 5/3/19 1:09 PM, Bruno Pagani wrote:
> They came for mesa-git, did not took care about which dependency were
> pulled. They update mesa-git, but don’t think of llvm-git because they
> were never informed this is especially relevant for mesa-git.

If they break their system by installing packages from git, and not
updating them, then that is entirely on their head.

> Other case : user already has llvm-git for whatever reason, but like you
> said don’t update it (they forgot about it, don’t care…). They install
> mesa-git from AUR, llvm-git dependency is already satisfied. But at that
> point, their llvm-git could even be older than repo llvm (granted, at
> this stage they would have other issues). So depending on llvm-git in
> mesa-git does not achieve a lot.

Like I said? What I said is that they *will* update it.

If they don't update it but do install mesa-git, and then don't update
that either, then as you even point out, they have other issues. And
what I will point out, is that they are not the intended users of the
AUR. Responsible people who use the AUR as intended, are the intended
users of the AUR.

So yes, depending on llvm-git does achieve a lot. It achieves a state of
being, whereby competent users who read the instructions, know what is
on their system, and act responsibly, build some package against current
development versions of llvm, tracking code that is far ahead of
[extra]/llvm.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User