[aur-general] Why keeping OpenRC related packages on AUR?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Sep 16 16:57:41 UTC 2019

On 9/16/19 12:38 PM, fredbezies via aur-general wrote:
> Indeed! I just remember some manjaro related packages to be deleted
> because they were using manjaro dependencies in some ways.

Well, if the package in question can only be run on Manjaro (or only
makes sense to run on manjaro), then that is probably an issue. On the
other hand, we encourage users of derivative distributions to contribute
to the AUR as long as their contributions are also able to be used on
Arch Linux.

For example, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=manjaro

These are mostly themes, but nothing says they cannot be used on Arch
Linux too.

And many AUR maintainers add archlinuxarm support for their packages (in
fact, I do this for pacman-git myself) -- as long as it *also* compiles
for x86_64, this is fine.

Some parabola users historically maintained e.g. linux-libre -- this is
fine too, Arch users can run this kernel if they want, it's a valid
kernel...

> Some projects are directly based on these technologies, providing
> their own repository. I thought it was simpler to use directly ISO
> from these projects.

But maybe someone wants to use those technologies with Arch. :)

>> What matters is that you built up your system from Arch Linux, and any
>> deviations from the official Arch Linux repositories are achieved by
>> your own labor, which you understand. (Do not try to use this as an
>> excuse to get support for Manjaro, Artix, or Parabola, you will get banned.)
>
> I won't ask any support for any of these distributions, even if I'm
> using one of them on my old laptop.
>
> I'm a 10 years long Archlinux user, who had known Archlinux 0.7x
> ISO... Good old /etc/rc.conf times... Or not!

Then you are entitled to Arch Linux support for those Arch systems,
regardless of which AUR packages you install on them (even the ones
which bring back /etc/rc.conf). ;)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User