[aur-general] Removing py2 (make-)dependency vs. keeping py2 features ?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 27 15:20:37 UTC 2020

On 8/27/20 11:11 AM, Michael Kogan wrote:
> I had the same issue with the `medit` package. It's an editor with some
> nice features, in particular, an integrated bash terminal. I have been
> pointed to the fact that pygtk is deprecated some months ago, but removing
> pygtk as dependency leads to the bash terminal functionality vanishing. I
> decided to keep the dependency for now, but I am open for opinions!

That's a bit of a different case though. If major core features depend
on the python2 dependency, it makes sense to keep them.

It's more of a question with pycharm, because the only thing you gain in
pycharm is... the ability to edit/manipulate python2 code using it.

With medit, everyone would lose out on the integrated terminal. This
seems like a clear case to continue shipping it.

With pycharm, only people developing on legacy python2 codebases lose
out. Hence why it's a question.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User