[aur-general] review of getax2019 PKGBUILD

Bert Peters bert at bertptrs.nl
Sun Feb 23 14:35:55 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-02-23 at 13:17 +0100, Yoan Blanc via aur-general wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've built my first PKGBUILD based on Brunio Renié's vaudtax,
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vaudtax/
>
> https://gitlab.com/greut/getax
>
> Do you think I could propose it as is to aur-request? Do you see
> anything
> that could be improved?
>
> Cheers,

Some things that stand out:
- You prepare shouldn't ever download things; you should use the
sources array for that.
- The build function isn't mandatory and can be left out if unused.
- The included `getax` script checks for java somehow, which is a
direct dependency. If this script comes from somewhere else, include
it in the sources array. Otherwise, just assume that your dependencies
are actualy isntalled.
- You should consistently quote $srcdir and $pkgdir since they may
contain spaces.
- Not sure if there is a rule about it, but a package description in
French seems odd to me.
- You depend on a specific java package rather than a specific java
version, or just java-environment. Why?
- Take a look at the java packaging guidelines in [1], it has more
general tips wrt to packaging java apps.

Cheers,

Bert.

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java_package_guidelines