[aur-general] review of getax2019 PKGBUILD

Yoan Blanc yoan.blanc+arch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 18:11:58 UTC 2020

Le dim. 23 févr. 2020 à 15:36, Bert Peters via aur-general <
aur-general at archlinux.org> a écrit :

> On Sun, 2020-02-23 at 13:17 +0100, Yoan Blanc via aur-general wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've built my first PKGBUILD based on Brunio Renié's vaudtax,
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vaudtax/
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/greut/getax
> >
> > Do you think I could propose it as is to aur-request? Do you see
> > anything
> > that could be improved?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> Some things that stand out:
> - You prepare shouldn't ever download things; you should use the
> sources array for that.
> - The build function isn't mandatory and can be left out if unused.
> - The included `getax` script checks for java somehow, which is a
> direct dependency. If this script comes from somewhere else, include
> it in the sources array. Otherwise, just assume that your dependencies
> are actualy isntalled.
> - You should consistently quote $srcdir and $pkgdir since they may
> contain spaces.
> - Not sure if there is a rule about it, but a package description in
> French seems odd to me.
> - You depend on a specific java package rather than a specific java
> version, or just java-environment. Why?
> - Take a look at the java packaging guidelines in [1], it has more
> general tips wrt to packaging java apps.

Wow, thanks a lot. I've managed to:
- use source for all the files
- simplify the shell script by assuming all the dependencies are installed
- translate the description :)
- and more.

Although, it only works with Java 8... so it has to stick to jre8-openjdk.

I did use some trickery to recreate the downloaded file hierarchy. I'm
hoping very much that my state (Geneva, hence GeTax) will provide a tarball
containing the updates which will make my life much easier. Automatic
updates makes close to no sense in an environment with a working package
management. But that's another story.

Thanks to Doug and Eli as well, much appreciated!

Shall I proceed with creating the AUR on aur.archlinux.org?

--
Yoan

Cheers,