[aur-general] What is pkgrel and why/how should I use it?

Alexander Fasching fasching.a91 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 20:50:11 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-03-03 at 15:36 -0500, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> On 3/3/20 2:09 PM, karx via aur-general wrote:
> > Hello all, sorry if this is not in the appropriate mailing list. I
> > am
> > developing an AUR package, and it says that pkgrel is a required
> > field.
> > Right now, I simply leave it at 1, but I want to know how I should
> > really
> > use it and what its purpose is.
> >
> > Thanks, Yash
>
> This mailing list is fine for any discussion about developing AUR
> packages, including questions about the PKGBUILD format.
>
> But I am curious -- have you read the wiki documentation at
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#pkgrel and if
> so, is there
> anything that was still unclear to you after reading it?

I have a question about pkgrel and git commits in the AUR. Should I
update pkgrel every time I make a commit and don't change pkgver?
I use aurpublish to manage my packages and I have some commits that
don't change pkgrel because I don't publish these commits.

I don't see a problem doing it this way because people who build from
intermediate commits should know what they are doing, but I don't know
if there are any guidelines on it. If pkgrel should be updated, then
maybe the aurpublish hooks should enforce this.

Best Regards,
Alexander Fasching