[aur-general] AUR package q -- newbie

Markus Schaaf mschaaf at elaboris.de
Tue May 12 07:04:33 UTC 2020

Am 12.05.20 um 05:40 schrieb Raj Kombiyil via aur-general:

> Before, I could just write my .Tex file and Ctrl+alt+1 and will get PDF.
> pdflatex is installed via texlive-most pkg. Here, Ctrl+alt+1 doesn't do
> anything. What am I missing? Because install was not proper? $which
> gedit-latex says no gedit-latex in /user/bin etc.
> Now, gedit can see the plugins and I marked the plugin. And also enabled
> bottom panel where I see error messages. Here nothing comes. Any idea what
> I need to do? Since I am teaching a class, I guess wrong time to play with
> arch :(

If you look at the plugin's settings, there are a couple of commands
defined. One of which you are trying to use. The plugin's installation
doesn't depend on any of the programs that are setup by default for
these commands, because you may want to change them. Or not use all of
them. I wouldn't want to install R, for instance, just because the
plugin has commands to render *.rnw files. It's your responsibility to
install and setup everything, so the commands you use do what you want.
If you want to use the default rubber command, you need to install at
least 'rubber' and 'texlive-core'. The plugin does no magic. It just
calls a command. You may test the very same command in a terminal.

If you have never compiled a latex document on the command line, and are
not willing to learn it, then yes Arch isn't for you. Because the very
next problem would be finding out how to install additional latex
packages, that your document may use.

BR