[aur-general] AUR package q -- newbie

Raj Kombiyil rkombiyil at gmail.com
Tue May 12 08:09:36 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020, 12:34 Markus Schaaf <mschaaf at elaboris.de> wrote:

> Am 12.05.20 um 05:40 schrieb Raj Kombiyil via aur-general:
>
> > Before, I could just write my .Tex file and Ctrl+alt+1 and will get PDF.
> > pdflatex is installed via texlive-most pkg. Here, Ctrl+alt+1 doesn't do
> > anything. What am I missing? Because install was not proper? $which
> > gedit-latex says no gedit-latex in /user/bin etc.
> > Now, gedit can see the plugins and I marked the plugin. And also enabled
> > bottom panel where I see error messages. Here nothing comes. Any idea
> what
> > I need to do? Since I am teaching a class, I guess wrong time to play
> with
> > arch :(
>
> If you look at the plugin's settings, there are a couple of commands
> defined. One of which you are trying to use. The plugin's installation
> doesn't depend on any of the programs that are setup by default for
> these commands, because you may want to change them. Or not use all of
> them. I wouldn't want to install R, for instance, just because the
> plugin has commands to render *.rnw files. It's your responsibility to
> install and setup everything, so the commands you use do what you want.
> If you want to use the default rubber command, you need to install at
> least 'rubber' and 'texlive-core'. The plugin does no magic. It just
> calls a command. You may test the very same command in a terminal.

Thank you. I am somewhat familiar with this, tho not an expert by any
yardstick.

> If you have never compiled a latex document on the command line, and are
> not willing to learn it, then yes Arch isn't for you.

Ha! Thanks for the encouragement :) Agree. Well, once I set up things to
taste in Ubuntu, didn't have to explicitly do this everytime. Been a long
while. Hmm I need to familiarize to find packages like beamer etc.

Because the very
> next problem would be finding out how to install additional latex
> packages, that your document may use.

Agreed. Thanks for taking time off to reply + making the package. Let me
see if I can grok it - to some extent :D