[aur-general] Why were my 'makedeb-beta' and 'makedeb-alpha' packages deleted?

Hunter Wittenborn hunter at hunterwittenborn.com
Fri Dec 17 21:43:34 UTC 2021

Why were my packages deleted again? They just got deleted by grawlinson again - could you please explain what exactly is the problem with my packages?

> If users really want to run the latest, they can run a `-git` version.

Again, I have multiple releases, and I'd like users to be able to choose between them. None of the three releases are meant to be like '-git' packages, as they're all versioned, and the only one that would necessarily be somewhat like '-git' would be 'makedeb-alpha', but my current system, again, has these all versioned, and I'd prefer it be kept in the same manner as makedeb is being maintained across other platforms.

---

Hunter Wittenborn

mailto:hunter at hunterwittenborn.com

https://www.hunterwittenborn.com

https://github.com/hwittenborn

---- On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 21:23:11 -0600 Kevin Morris via aur-general <aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote ----

Mistakes are made. As was already done, deleted packages can be
restored via the git interface. I understand your difference,
I was just explaining why one may have made that deletion request.

Of course, the user who made the request and the TU who accepted it
become aware that this was a mistake, and they'll remember it for the
future.

The platform is not automatically moderated at all. It is generally
easier for a maintainer to reach out for a request being problematic
than trying to reach out to every maintainer who owns packages
that requests are made for; which would absolutely slow down these
actions behind a wall of logistics.

The last point may be nice for an org who wishes that their packages
are never touched, but, this is a user-run platform, and with that
comes the fact that TUs need to sometimes make decisions without
input from owners of the packages.

It is what it is, and that's most likely how it happened. It's not
the end of the world, as you know, since your package was already
reinstated back to what it was before the deletion occurred.

Please consider this a minor inconvenience. It's not something that
dramatically changes anything about the topic in question, and it
does not affect your project in a very bad way overall -- it was
a mishap, and mishaps happen.

Mistakes are OK. What isn't okay is then returning and arguing that
the mistake wasn't a mistake -- that is not what's happening.

Best,
Kevin

--
Kevin Morris