[aur-general] Why were my 'makedeb-beta' and 'makedeb-alpha' packages deleted?

George Rawlinson grawlinson at archlinux.org
Sat Dec 18 06:24:44 UTC 2021

On 21-12-17 15:43, Hunter Wittenborn wrote:
> Why were my packages deleted again? They just got deleted by grawlinson again - could you please explain what exactly is the problem with my packages?
>

> > If users really want to run the latest, they can run a `-git` version.
>

> Again, I have multiple releases, and I'd like users to be able to choose between them. None of the three releases are meant to be like '-git' packages, as they're all versioned, and the only one that would necessarily be somewhat like '-git' would be 'makedeb-alpha', but my current system, again, has these all versioned, and I'd prefer it be kept in the same manner as makedeb is being maintained across other platforms.

vercmp(8) has this to say about version strings:

> Version comparison operates as follows:
>
>  Alphanumeric:
>   1.0a < 1.0b < 1.0beta < 1.0p < 1.0pre < 1.0rc < 1.0 < 1.0.a < 1.0.1
>
>  Numeric:
>   1 < 1.0 < 1.1 < 1.1.1 < 1.2 < 2.0 < 3.0.0

Additionally, let's look at Firefox packages:

> extra/firefox 95.0.1-1
> community/firefox-developer-edition 96.0b6-1
> aur/firefox-nightly 97.0a1.20211208-1

The version numbers have clear separation, and it's easy to spot which
are alpha/beta releases.

With makedeb, it's all the same:

> makedeb 8.8.8
> makedeb-alpha 8.8.8
> makedeb-beta 8.8.8

That's just confusing, and there's no clear separation between all of
the packages. If you really want to keep them 'separate', I suggest
fixing your versioning.

--
George Rawlinson