[aur-general] Is base an implicit dependency?

Filipe Laíns lains at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 27 14:11:00 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-07-27 at 11:15 +0200, Cedric Girard via aur-general wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have a confirmation. I encountered a PKGBUILD on AUR
> that is not building correctly except when systemd is present when
> building. The maintainer considers the makedeps is implicit as systemd
> is dragged by base metapackage.
>
> However devtools only ensures base-devel is present, not base, when
> building in a clean chroot. And I could not find a mention in the wiki
> of base expected to be present when writing a PKGBUILD.
>
> Could you confirm to me what are the guidelines? Does systemd
> (make)dependency should be explicit or not?
>
> Regards,

Hi Cedric,

Yes, see [1]. Packages in base can, and should, be omitted from dependencies.

Similarly, the base-devel group is assumed to be installed when building
packages, see [2]. Its members should be omitted from makedepends and
checkdepends.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Meta_package_and_package_group#Meta_packages
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PKGBUILD#makedepends

Cheers,