[aur-general] Is base an implicit dependency?

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Tue Jul 27 19:16:48 UTC 2021

On 2021-07-27 21:26, Jason Ryan via aur-general wrote:
> On 27/07/21 at 01:17pm, Archange via aur-general wrote:
>> No, you’re not, and systemd must be added to makedepends if required
>> at build time. The maintainer is wrong.
>>
> I'm the maintainer[0], and I'm not wrong. The package builds fine in a
> chroot, using the classic way[1] with makechrootpkg.

<begin irony alert, sung to the obnoxious ska tune by the W's "the devil
is bad">
Hi, you are the maintainer and you are wrong!
<end irony alert>

I don't know if humor will help here. That's certainly not my taste in
music, it's just one of those things one can't forget. But in all
seriousness it would be nice to bring the tone down a little across the
board. Your response here and in AUR comments does come off a bit
abrasive for something that (at the very least) is clearly a point of
confusion.

I just checked your package myself and it does *not* build in a clean
chroot the classic way with makechrootpkg ... assuming the chroot is
setup the way the Wiki currently suggests using `base-devel`. If you
have setup your chroot(s) with `base` in the mix that is something you
did and not what is currently standardized across both the preconfigured
devtools roots and the Wiki manual instructions.

This whole thread is discussing whether that is correct and whether
`base` *should* be included in `base-devel`, but at the moment it is
pretty evidently not. Personally I think this does need to change and
`base` should be assumed — but that only make sense after more things
are stripped out of `base` that only apply to physical systems and not
containers.

>> systemd is not part of base-devel, and base is not part of official
>> building chroots
> It would good to see this actually documented somewhere.

Thy _why_ could use some documentation, but it's pretty self evident
that this is not currently the case. You can check for yourself by
spawning one of the devtools roots or my running makearchroot with the
arguments suggested on the wiki (which does not mention `base`).

Regards,
Caleb