[aur-general] Request for Public Review of REXPaint package

Vince vince at ultrabanana.net
Sat Jul 31 13:26:00 UTC 2021

Hi everyone!
Thank you for the help on the the thread eariler, I found the advice
and examples very useful. I have posted a request for review of my
PKGBUILD over IRC, but I would appreciate any criticism here too.

I have uploaded the PKGBUILD, and two files that would come with it
(launcher.desktop and launcher.sh). There are a couple decisions I
made that are unconventional, so I'll list them here:

1. As George suggested, I renamed my package from `rexpaint-bin` to
   just `rexpaint`, since there are no sources available.

2. The server hosting the program blocks Curl's user agent. As far as
   I can tell, the convention is to use "Mozilla" as a user agent
   instead. However, I have opted to use "PKGBUILD" as the agent, so I
   avoid accidentally messing up any statistics that may be collected
   upstream.

3. I have used standard package permissions as far as I can tell,
   except for `/usr/share/rexpaint/images`. The program saves data
   into this directory, so it must be 777.

4. I am not sure what to do with `/usr/share/rexpaint/data`. It
   contains data such as fonts and palettes, which might be edited by
   the user during usage. Right now I have assumed that the user will
   not do that, so it is not listed in `$backup` and its mode is 755.
   I have sent an email upstream asking about this, and am waiting for
   a response.

5. The program tries to write logs into the Working Directory
   (`/usr/share/rexpaint`), but it cannot do this because I have set
   its mode to 755. However, giving the everyone write permissions in
   `/usr/share/rexpaint` seems insecure. Please advise.

As stated before, I have emailed upstream to ask if it's okay that I
publish this packaging to the repositories. This is not required by
the license, but I am too young to be making enemies, and it would be
nice to have some upstream. I will publish it when I get the goahead,
or if he takes more than 24h to reply.

All feedback is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Vincent