[aur-general] NVHPC packages changes the default compiler for the System

Jayesh Badwaik j.badwaik at fz-juelich.de
Thu Jun 10 15:47:51 UTC 2021

Dear All,

I hope this is the correct place to post the message.

The `nvhpc` package adds a files `/etc/profile.d/nvhpc.sh` to the system. This file sets the environment variables:

export CC=$nvcompdir/bin/nvc
export CXX=$nvcompdir/bin/nvc++
export FC=$nvcompdir/bin/nvfortran
export F90=$nvcompdir/bin/nvfortran
export F77=$nvcompdir/bin/nvfortran
export CPP=cpp

This changes the default compiler of the system and thereby causing all utilities which honor the environment variable to fail.

I wish that the `nvhpc.sh` should not be installed in `/etc/profile.d` and instead should be in a location which is not read by default. That way, the user who wants to opt into it can opt in.

I know AUR is maintained by volunteers, but I'm hoping to reach the maintainer of the `nvhpc` packages through this mail.

Thank you.
--
Best
Jayesh Badwaik