[aur-general] TU application for Caleb, aka alerque

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Tue Jun 15 22:05:41 UTC 2021

On 2021-06-16 00:24, George Rawlinson via aur-general wrote:
> There's a lot that should be improved when it comes to the entire
> Electron ecosystem. It's a concern that the maintenance of these
> applications falls mostly on distribution packagers, seeing as some
> upstream Electron apps won't accept bug reports from users with
> "modified" apps.

Never mind bug reports, half the time they won't accept patches! I've
had quite few PRs that tried to fix build issues rejected because "your
issue wouldn't even be a problem if you built it our bundled way".

> Sure does. Glad to read about your process, and especially that you use
> your own packages.

Most of them. A handful I don't any more at all besides having them on a
machine, a few my usage is intermittent, but yes for the most part the
things I package are things I actually care about. As a rule I don't use
*any* software if it can't be installed an managed as a system package.
I have everything from long running machines (Arch boxes updated for >
10 years) to many ephemeral virtual systems. I can't mess around with
installing software manually and then either not being able to match it
elsewhere or forgetting what I did or having it leave crud around on my
system.

> Guilty, m'lud. To the gallows with me!

Your punishment should you choose to accept: use only emacs for the next
<M-d> days.