[aur-general] TU application for Caleb, aka alerque

Alexis BRENON @Arch brenon.alexis+arch at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 19:29:31 UTC 2021

Le ven. 18 juin 2021 20:00, Caleb Maclennan via aur-general <
aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> a écrit :

> On 2021-06-11 03:16, Archange wrote:
> > so let’s start the discussion period.
>
> This message is a short public service announcement reminding all
> current TUs that today is the halfway point of the discussion period on
> my application. I know packagers tend to be the easily distracted types
> that wander off following the latest shinny thing wherever it leads —
> it takes one to know one. I also know the author of *the* most popular
> AUR package (not to mention co-author of the second most popular) just
> threw his hat in the ring too, but I don't want you to loose your
> chance to hold my toes over the fire.
>
> If my existing packages or former FOSS involvement doesn't give enough
> fodder for discussion, lets try some unpopular opinions:
>
> * I think most non-library Rust projects would benefit from Autoconf
> tooling. Rust is a fantastic language but Cargo is terrible in the role
> of distribution tooling.
> * Projects that track auto-generated content (such as Autoconf
> generated bits) in their VCS should be taken out behind the woodshed
> and...
> * Non-tiling window managers are mostly just window *observers*, they
> clearly aren't *managing* them effectively if they just throw them all
> in a pile.
> * QWERTY is for mechanical typewriters or the birds, no middle ground.
> I use (programmer) Dvorak for English, F for Turkish, and MessagEase on
> mobile. I'm considering learning ARTSEY to facilitate computer use
> while holding small children.
>
> Caleb

I am not a TU but the keyboard part raised my attention.
I totally agree, QWERTY (and AZERTY for French users like me) are for
typewriters (I didn't get why birds should support this burden).
I used to use programmer Dvorak, but for french people, it is not usable as
a daily solution (missing common diacritics). Since then I swapped to BÉPO.
It is probably not the best for programming however, to write a thesis it
can be blessed !
On mobile I use AnySoftKeyboard (FOSS). MessagEase and artsey seem
interesting but are very different approaches. Good choice to avoid any use
from any other people ;-p
By the way, using a BÉPO layout with an AZERTY keyboard is a very good way
to avoid any bad Slack joke in company !

Thanks for these new things queuing on my "things to test" list.

Kind,
Alexis.