[aur-general] TU application for Caleb, aka alerque

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 21 15:58:46 UTC 2021

On 6/18/21 1:59 PM, Caleb Maclennan via aur-general wrote:
> If my existing packages or former FOSS involvement doesn't give enough
> fodder for discussion, lets try some unpopular opinions:

Speaking of unpopular opinions, holy cow.

It appears you've been agitating on the AUR comments for some duplicates
of the community/audacity package:

"""
@yochananmarqos The Arch [community] package has been flagged out of
date for over a year. When exactly is it okay to move on and post an AUR
package? I'd say the delete flag should be dropped and re-filed when the
repo package is up to date. Yes I know v3 hasn't been out that long, but
the minor version bump on the v2 series that was missed a year ago had
other fixes that pushed me to switch to audacity-git, now that is
broken. This package seems quite reasonable given the circumstances.
"""

So if I understand correctly, you believe that the official rules of the
AUR apply as usual, *EXCEPT* for the exact case they're intended to target?

audacity 3 is released in March, some AUR users are upset it isn't being
updated in [community] fast enough.

But... the rules of the AUR state that you must not take this
opportunity to upload "audacity-but-actually-kept-up-to-date" style
packages.

Your straightforward defense of this is that... a year ago, a minor
version bump took too long also, and therefore "given the circumstances"
it's reasonable to just up and violate the rules of the AUR because this
one package is just, idk, too irresponsibly maintained in [community]?

Given the purpose of the Trusted Users to whom you are applying, is not
just to publish packages in [community], but also to moderate and keep
order in the AUR, I find it extremely relevant that halfway through an
otherwise decent application you are advocating for this sort of thing.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User