[aur-general] TU application for Caleb, aka alerque

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Tue Jun 22 19:43:53 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-06-22 at 10:42 -0400, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> On 6/22/21 9:49 AM, alad via aur-general wrote:
> > let me note my appreciation of your recent activity on various Arch
> > community channels (e.g. IRC and mailing lists here). Whatever the
> > outcome of this application, I hope you keep that activity.
>
> Seconded. :)

IRC participation is going to keep coming in fits and starts. This is
the way it has been for years. I get the bug and hang around for a few
months, then get burried in some work and ignore it for a while and it
takes 6 monhs before I log in again and see who's still chillin.

For mailing lists, obviously with TU responsibilities I'll have to
monitor this list and a few others a bit more closely. I've subscribed
and tracked several for many years, but embarasingly my subscription to
arch-general had some mailer problem and I didn't even notice for ages
until a couple weeks ago when I was writing my application. Oops!

> > * github-desktop
> >
> > - That DLAGENTS logic looks strange. I guess makepkg doesn't
> > support
> > source links with both branch and tag?
>

> This appears to be a homebrew implementation of the following
> rejected
> makepkg feature request:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/User:Apg#makepkg:_shallow_git_clones
>

> > - Googling "Xvfb yarn" gave me this rather amusing issue:
> > https://github.com/cypress-io/xvfb/issues/98
>

> xvfb-run is probably easier here...

Thanks for this tip. I'll look into it for sure. I'll admit to having
adopted and bumped this from the previous maintainer who was tired of
dealing with it, but withouth overhauling it. I tried dropping the
obviously hacky buts and it failed, but I haven't gotten around to
really scrubbing it clean yet with at overhaul.

> > * moonscript

Again thanks to both of you for the tips. You can see I'm not the last
packager of this however. I adopted it recently knowing that it was a
disaster and started an overhaul, but ran into some unexpected problems
updating the build,. I think they are upstream, but still working out
the details. I'll be posting an overhaul to this when it works right.

> Due to an internal implementation detail of makepkg, the package()
> function is run after sourcing the PKGBUILD again -- this time after
> lua is installed.

Yes, quite aware of this. Also aware that I've made that mistake before
with Electron packages, and might still have a couple instances to fix!
I've only in the last few months started to regularly check my builds
in a chroot before posting. As you can imaginge that's been turing up
quite a few things I previously overlooked.

Caleb