[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

Filipe Laíns lains at archlinux.org
Mon May 17 14:36:22 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-05-17 at 14:11 +0000, lawl via aur-general wrote:
> The license is very clear. I am not going to debate with everyone if any
> individual patch is acceptable or not.
>
> I expect the ArchLinux project will comply with the license and I'm
> unsubscribing again from this mailing list since there is nothing to discuss.
>
> You have been notified.

The Arch Linux project does not distribute your software.

We host a repository of user contributed build scripts, we do not distribute
source code or any kind of binary build from your software.
The AUR *is not* "distributing packages", it is distributing build scripts.
The only thing we host is this git repo:

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/?h=noisetorch

For the sake of avoiding conflict, I think it would be best for the AUR
maintainer for this build script to add a notice on the final software
describing the modifications (it could simply point to the PKGBUILD).
Though, I would like to point out that there is absolutely no basis for
demanding the name to be changed.

Several people tried to have a reasonable discussion with you, to no avail, so
my reply here lacks most of the courtesy I would have otherwise given and is
purely technical.

Filipe Laíns