[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon May 17 20:01:37 UTC 2021

On Mon, 17 May 2021 20:38:33 +0200, Justin Kromlinger via aur-general
wrote:
>I've switched the PKGBUILD to a VCS source and removed any source code
>modifications [0]. It should now be compliant with the license and the
>wishes of the upstream maintainer.
>
>[0]
>https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/PKGBUILD?h=noisetorch&id=ac816bf38000eea79291f41e6ffafe336dd95be7

I still wonder, if such an app gains something. For speech
intelligibility (as well as for anything else) the position of the
microphone, as well as the room reflections are important. However,
formants, sibilants, etc. need to be considered. Assuming you want the
best possible quality for a singer, the required frequency range is
more or less from 80 Hz to 12 kHz (not that many aged people are able to
hear up to 16 KHz). Rattle noise, flour noise is almost damped already
below 80 Hz (around 75 HZ), but you even could cut at 90 or higher Hz,
even for a male voice, let alone a female voice. Unwanted high noise is
an issue, if you want the full spectrum. Actually you don't need
something even near to 12 KHz for speech intelligibility. You can cut
high frequencies way, way lower. _If_ there should be noise around the
formants range from around 150 to 3000 Hz you can't do anything at all.
Consonants might require up to 12 KHz, but actually 8 KHz or lower are
likely ok. Analog telephones tended to provide 300 to less than 4000 Hz.
I wonder what such an app could provide other, than irritation. My guess
is, that getting used to unwanted noise is less irritating, than trying
to cancel unwanted noise "smart" by what ever noise reduction, since
sometimes the "smart" approach must allow unwanted noise, so the
unwanted noise comes and goes. Instead, if there's no way to use a good
room and good microphone position, let alone a good microphone and
sound card, lowpass and highpass filters should be used as defaults. An
audio engineer could tweak a little bit other frequencies, but most
unlikely an automation or amateur is able to do it.

Does this app really some a kind of magic?