[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

mar77i at protonmail.ch mar77i at protonmail.ch
Fri May 21 20:35:53 UTC 2021

-‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, May 21, 2021 10:25 PM, Manhong Dai via aur-general <aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
> IMHO, as it is very tricky to distribute a patch file without copyright, a
> better solution for AUR maintainers is to creat patch files including the
> upstream copyright and then host the files somewhere else. AUR will not be
> liable to such legal headache anymore, and the patch file owner enjoys the
> deserved credit all by himself while taking the full liability too. After
> all, AUR seems to be a public community for now and TU works for free for
> now too.

You know how fugly that is? If my domain where I store my source code gets nuked because I get hit by a bus, nobody else may know what the patch's content was. Sure, I could be less "anti-social" and just use github like too many other people, but I don't like being forced to do so. There was a similar discussion on the topic in the pypi community recently, where the problem of too many things hosted elsewhere is raised in the same way.

https://discuss.python.org/t/what-to-do-about-gpus-and-the-built-distributions-that-support-them/7125

cheers!
mar77i

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.