[aur-general] Mass removal of packages.

Christian Rebischke Chris.Rebischke at archlinux.org
Sun May 23 00:05:40 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:36:55AM -0500, Derek Taylor via aur-general wrote:
> I received a notice that several of my suckless builds (dwm-distrotube-git, st-distrotube-git, dmenu-distrotube-git) have been deleted from the AUR due to being "for one person". That's certainly reasonable but these packages are not for one person. A lot of people use these and depend on them. Again, these builds are not for one person. What can be done about this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> DT

Hi Derek,

I just had a glimpse on your software and I see why it got mass-removed.
Maybe you shouldn't describe the packages as:

"My heavily-patched customized build of the Suckless simple terminal (st)."
"My heavily-patched and customized build of the Suckless dmenu run launcher."

I can only speculate, but did you use the same package description in
the AUR?

My suggestion to solve this: give the packages a new name and make clear
that the software is a fork and something different.

For example:

pkgname: dst
additional features"