[aur-general] TU application - artafinde

Leonidas Spyropoulos artafinde at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:29:51 UTC 2021

Hello,

On 01/11/21, Morten Linderud wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 06:24:51PM +0000, Leonidas Spyropoulos via aur-general wrote:
> Good luck with your application :) Some preliminary thoughts.

Thank you

> This isn't as much of an orphan as there is a question what to do with the
> elasticsearch ecosystem in Arch. With the relicensing and subsequent release of
> opensearch what are you plans for this package? This also applies to the beat
> packages and auxiliary packages to the ELK stack.

I think the best thing to do for Arch Linux is to wait to see how this
will evolve. If opensearch gets traction and support from the community
it might be the answer and eventually elasticsearch will not be
important to keep in repos. I must say though I had to educate myself to
the latest in elasticsearch licensing.

> I'd rather not have a co-maintainer for go unless they want to take some
> responsibility for the ecosystem and packaging standards as well. It's quite a
> bit of work and just updating Go is the simple part of it. So what are you
> thoughts here?
>
> There are a few packages in this list that has anywhere between 2 and 3
> maintainers already. One maintainer is bad, two is good, but having 3+
> maintainers is just painful to communicate if they are not all on the same page.
> This applies mostly to docker and docker-compose on my end, but I suspect there
> are more?
>
> When we started doing this list it was mostly to highlight packages that need
> more maintainers where we just had one, but I don't think it's super useful
> listing up every one package you want to maintain which doesn't strictly need
> more maintainers? To me this seems like listing up packages for the sake of
> listing up packages.

Coming up as a newbie in the TU I would have contacted the current
maintainer(s) to ask if they need assistance on packaging and if it's a
good idea to become a co-maintainer. As you mention here this would
probably be an issue for docker and docker-compose packages.

As for packages which are part of a bigger ecosystem then I would be
willing to get involved into that if it's required.

--
Leonidas Spyropoulos

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?