[aur-general] TU application - artafinde

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 1 11:40:02 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 11:29:51AM +0000, Leonidas Spyropoulos via aur-general wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 01/11/21, Morten Linderud wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 06:24:51PM +0000, Leonidas Spyropoulos via aur-general wrote:
> > Good luck with your application :) Some preliminary thoughts.
> >
> Thank you
>
> > This isn't as much of an orphan as there is a question what to do with the
> > elasticsearch ecosystem in Arch. With the relicensing and subsequent release of
> > opensearch what are you plans for this package? This also applies to the beat
> > packages and auxiliary packages to the ELK stack.
> >
> I think the best thing to do for Arch Linux is to wait to see how this
> will evolve. If opensearch gets traction and support from the community
> it might be the answer and eventually elasticsearch will not be
> important to keep in repos. I must say though I had to educate myself to
> the latest in elasticsearch licensing.

Please do read the previou discussion regarding SSPL and mongodb. I don't know
if there are recent development but it's still not an OSI license.
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2019-January/029430.html

I do think there is a possible debate still about how we should approach these
licenses, but in general people favour dropping them instead of pretending to be
a lawyer. This is also why elasticsearch has been updated until the version
before the license change and then orphaned.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16