[aur-general] aur/virtualbox-bin or extra/dkms is broken

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 18:54:48 UTC 2021

On 11/25/21 12:32 AM, Ralf Mardorf via aur-general wrote:
> After downgrading dkms from 3.0.2-1 to 3.0.1-1, dkms build and installed
> the virtualbox-bin modules again.
>
> So at the moment I have no idea if dkms is broken or if virtualbox-bin
> needs a fix to fit to the latest dkms package.

Investigation further, I downgraded dkms to 3.0.1 on one box based on your
note and than upgraded the system to Linux-5.15.5. All modules for
virtualbox-bin built fine with dkms.

Second test, installed vbox-bin 6.1.30 on another box (upgrade from 6.1.28)
and then did the system update to 5.15.5. All modules built here to with dkms
3.0.2 -- so I'm a bit confused.

So you are saying after upgrade with dkms 3.0.2 installed no modules were
either a) built, or b) configured to be loaded on boot properly by dkms?

After the upgrade with dkms 3.0.2, I found they were both built and installed,
e.g. after upgrade and reboot:

$ lsmod | grep vbox
vboxnetflt             32768  0
vboxnetadp             28672  0
vboxdrv               544768  2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt

Now I also got the messages like during virtualbox-bin updates from the
testbuild versions I had:

:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Remove DKMS modules
==> dkms remove --no-depmod vboxhost/6.1.29_non_OSE -k 5.10.81-1-lts
rmdir: failed to remove '': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '': No such file or directory
==> dkms remove --no-depmod vboxhost/6.1.29_non_OSE -k 5.15.4-arch1-1
rmdir: failed to remove '': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove '': No such file or directory
==> depmod 5.15.4-arch1-1
==> depmod 5.10.81-1-lts

But those are not troubling are not that troubling. A couple of versions back
dkms was failing due to not removing old version folders under a given kernel,
so I just took those as being checks for any of the older versions in response
to that.

I'll let you know if I get anything back from the vbox list.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.