[aur-general] aur/virtualbox-bin or extra/dkms is broken

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 19:12:15 UTC 2021

On 11/26/21 12:40 PM, Ralf Mardorf via aur-general wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 12:17:10 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Passed along to the vbox-users-community at lists.sourceforge.net list
>
> Thank you David :).
>
> I'm not subscribed. Actually I tend to migrate to QEMU/KVM after I have
> done my very first test, https://i.imgur.com/xUjIoa4.png . OTOH
> VirtualBox has some pros, too, so maybe I'll subscribe to this mailing
> list.

Ironically, that is been my intent as well. I have my qcow2 Arch guest image
as well I've been working with, but I always end up back with vbox just from a
convenience and already learned standpoint. I access all guest headless over
the LAN and use rdesktop to connect to the running guests.

I know KVM/QEMU will do the same thing, I just haven't sat down and made
friends with it to the same extent -- yet.

> FWIWb
> https://sourceforge.net/p/vbox-users/mailman/message/37391555/

Still no replies.

I saw some funny behavior with 5.15.2 and modesetting, but that disappeared
with the kernel updates to 5.15.3, and in the last update to 5.15.5 things
appeared normal with one box using 3.0.1 dkms and the other using 3.0.2. Arch
host with Arch/SuSE and Windows guests. Host builds both current and LTS
kernel modules.

Frustrating when the gremlins are all but impossible to identify and seem to
appear and disappear at will. (adavistic gremlins?)

I'll let you know if anything come back from the vbox list and follow up if I
see any similar behavior and something that might help.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.