[aur-general] problem with yt-dlp package.

zoorat zoorat at protonmail.com
Wed Oct 27 12:50:38 UTC 2021

>> I am not a python programmer, so I might be wrong...
>> but what I found after testing my program needs files of `
>>
>> /
>>
>> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp
>>
>> /
>>
>> ` folder.
>>
>> but,
>> community/yt-dlp package dose not have files of `
>>
>> /
>>
>> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp
>>
>> /
>>
>> ` folder. It only contains the binary to be used by the terminal. so it can not work as a dependency.
>> And AUR/youtube-dlp-bin is the same. only the binary.
>> And there is AUR/yt-dlp-git which have `
>>
>> /
>>
>> usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp
>>
>> /
>>
>> ` folder with all the files needs to be a dependency but it is a git package...
>>
>> I already wrote a package by the name python-yt-dlp which is built the way a python package is supposed to be built. As any of them can't function as a dependency should I upload it ??
>> or should I make a bug report in community/yt-dl ??.
>
> might not be the right solution, but?
>
> the /usr/bin/yt-dlp file is actually a python package as a zip
> archive, that has all the python modules in it.
>
> even this works `PYTHONPATH=yt-dlp python` and then you can import
> from the yt_dlp
> package.
>
> you might use this as a kind of a fix
>
> --
> damjan

that certainly works. but why this weird solution ??
why that 'yt-dlp' package is an archive in /bin ??
why it's not like a normal python package so that it can be used as a normal terminal utility and a library at the same time ??
I don't get it.

a simple package like this works just fine => https://gist.github.com/z00rat/48283ea15353ff86c3222316feaca649
it just works as a command and as a library. btw, it has that GUI (yt-dlg) too.

TBH, i would rather prefer a universal way to do those things...

ps: am i supposed to get mail or in an aur-general Digest when ever someone mail in my thread ?? i only get email as a digest....