[aur-general] New maintainer

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Sat Sep 11 07:44:55 UTC 2021

Hey Jason,

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 07:19:16PM -0400, Jason Kercher via aur-general wrote:
> if anyone has a minute to look at my PKGBUILD, that would be great.

A couple of suggestions:

- Variables which are empty or set to their default values (e.g.
  pkgver=1.0) aren't needed. I'd recommend only setting those you
  actually want to set.
- "provides=(libfql.so)" seems odd to me. The "provides" key is used
  when your package provides a drop-in alternative for another package,
  but there's no libfql.so package. You can probably just remove that
  one.
- The "$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz::" in source= isn't needed, as the
  archive already is named that way, so no need to rename it.
- If you use $pkgver in the source URL, you'll only need to adjust that,
  once a new version gets released, rather than also having to adjust
  the URL.
- The "prepare" function does nothing and can be removed.
- Setting of "prefix=" in build() seems weird. I'm not even sure if you
  can rely on the pacman -Ql output (and e.g. sorting) like that. Why
  not just set it to /usr, since you *know* where the package you depend
  on installs its files?
- Why the "sudo" in "sudo make install"? You don't need root privileges
  to package something. If you do, then your PKGBUILD is trying to write
  files outside of $pkgdir, which would be bad.

As for maintaining other packages, I'd suggest only maintaining things
you actually use yourself. Look for packages installed on your system
which are orphaned and pick them up; and look for those which are
frequently marked out of date and consider asking the maintainer if
they'd be interested in co-maintainership.

Florian

--
            me at the-compiler.org | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/