[aur-general] New maintainer

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Sat Sep 11 08:40:38 UTC 2021

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:22:13AM +0200, Xiretza via aur-general wrote:
> On 11/09/2021 09.44, Florian Bruhin via aur-general wrote:
> > Hey Jason,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 07:19:16PM -0400, Jason Kercher via aur-general wrote:
> > > if anyone has a minute to look at my PKGBUILD, that would be great.
> > A couple of suggestions:
> >
> > - Variables which are empty or set to their default values (e.g.
> >    pkgver=1.0) aren't needed. I'd recommend only setting those you
> >    actually want to set.
> For some of the empty arrays, I agree, but I'd leave pkgver= as-is - it just happens to be 1.0 right now, but that will presumably change soon.

Err, agreed. I meant pkgrel=1.

> > - "provides=(libfql.so)" seems odd to me. The "provides" key is used
> >    when your package provides a drop-in alternative for another package,
> >    but there's no libfql.so package. You can probably just remove that
> >    one.
>
> From PKGBUILD(5):
>
> > provides (array)
> >   [snip]
> >   If the provision name appears to be a library (ends with .so), makepkg
> >   will try to find the library in the built package and append the correct
> >   version. Appending the version yourself disables automatic detection.
>
> This allows you to specify "depends=('foo.so=2')". Not sure if that's actually used anywhere, but many packages specify the provides= anyway.

Oh! I've never noticed so far even after some >10 years of using
Archlinux, I stand corrected. Thanks for the explanation!

> > - Why the "sudo" in "sudo make install"? You don't need root privileges
> >    to package something. If you do, then your PKGBUILD is trying to write
> >    files outside of $pkgdir, which would be bad.
>
> That is indeed what it's trying to do - OP didn't use DESTDIR with "make install", so it's trying to install to the host system. Slapping a "sudo" in front of it is of course the completely wrong thing to do, and causes anyone building the package outside a chroot to clobber their system.

Blindly adding "sudo" when something doesn't work often isn't the right
thing to do. Yet it's done way too often... I'm probably guilty of it
myself on one occasion or another, though.

Florian

--
            me at the-compiler.org | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/