[aur-general] Why were my packages gtkwrite, gtkwrite-git, and gtkate deleted from AUR?

Tinu Weber takeya at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 13 17:51:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 16:34:32 +0000, zoorat via aur-general wrote:
> The reason for deletion are
> 1. Missing dependency (gtksourceview2)
> with that broken dependency, you can't build any of those packages. and I tried by removing the dependency but build will fail.

Was there any comment or anything to let the maintainer know about the
issue? Filing a deletion request right away seems a little harsh.

> 2.Last Updated: 2019-02-21 00:53. or Last Updated: 2019-02-26 10:41.
> It's been more than 2 years...

Is there a need to constantly "update" PKGBUILDs? What about software
that doesn't see upstream releases very often?

If there *was* an upstream release, why not simply use the "out of date"
flag?

Of course if there is an issue for over 2 years, that's another thing.
But again, was the author previously notified about the issue at all
(e.g. via AUR comment)?

Regards,
Tinu