[aur-general] RPC v1-v4 Deprecation Notice

Kevin Morris kevr at 0cost.org
Mon Sep 20 21:37:18 UTC 2021

Hello AUR users,

With the advent of FastAPI aurweb development, we've done some reviewing
of the RPC API. With each increasing version to the RPC, it has become quite
a heavy component of aurweb to maintain in complete back-compatibility
mode for legacy RPC version users.

These legacy versions reduce flexibility in the implementation and there are
several bugs with the legacy versions which will not be addressed in favor
of moving forward and focusing on the current highest version: 5 and future
unreleased versions.

For these reasons, we have decided to deprecate the following RPC versions:

    - 1
    - 2
    - 3
    - 4

Undeprecated versions:

    - 5

A deprecation warning has been patched into the RPC soon for all requests
which use a version less than 5. This notice will be shown to users under
the "warning" key of JSON output for a minimum of one month before true
deprecation occurs:

    The use of versions lower than 5 is now deprecated and will soon be
    unsupported. To ensure your API client supports the change without
    issue, it should use version 5 and adjust for any changes in the API
    interface. See https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc for documentation related
    to v5.

After one month has passed (from now), the RPC API should be seen to only
support v5. Users should update their code to use v5 before this time to
avoid any imminent client breakage.

See https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc for documentation on working with
version 5.

NOTE: Upcoming changes which completely remove v1-4 from operation will
require your clients to supply a valid `v` query argument. Currently, this
defaults to version 1, and that will change with the completion of the
deprecation. A changelog will be posted to aur-general regarding RPC
when this occurs, but this is a bit of forewarning so that users may
prepare without issues.

    Example: https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc?v=5&type=multiinfo&arg[]=package

We thank you all for your understanding and look forward to improving the
API in future versions (v6) which development will have begun after
the FastAPI initial port is complete.

We'd like to thank you all for your contributions to the AUR; without you,
the AUR would simply not be a useful tool. We apologize for any inconvenience
this may cause, but we do feel that this is the right direction for the
project; especially since we'll be adding more features to the API in
the very near future, this allows us to more easily develop and release
these additions.

Thank you for reading,
aurweb Development Team

--