[aur-general] ssh access on port 443

tom at tswartz.net tom at tswartz.net
Tue Apr 19 12:55:27 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 08:45:10AM -0400, tom at tswartz.net wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 08:16:10AM +0000, George Rawlinson via aur-general wrote:
> > On 22-04-18 17:50, aur--- via aur-general wrote:
> > > As slow as it is, have you tried using Tor, you are only pushing pulling PKGBUILD files, not gigabytes of data.
> > >
> > > Offtopic; does the AUR or any part of Arch offer .onion services?
> >
> > I don't think we do, is there actually any interest in this?
> >
> > --
> > George Rawlinson
>

> I had raised this back in 2015 and the suggestion was shot down pretty hard back then.
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2015-June/030939.html
>
> However, there were some useful suggestions last time around:
> It may be possible to use the following by itself, or in combination with a VPS
> as others have mentioned.
> http://gitolite.com/git-over-proxy.html
>

> Fortunately, I'm no longer in a position where this is necessary for my
> own work, though I too recall the difficulty in sharing packages with tcp/22
> closed/blocked/inaccessible.
>
> I'm hopeful that with the latest changes to AUR and with some new TU's in the
> group, perhaps some opinions have changed to reconsider this option.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Tom Swartz

Apologies, to be clear;
I had raised the issue about ssh on tcp/443; not the .onion services.

Incidentally, I have also found my old AUR bug report/feature request about the
same, and (at the time) did not appear to be a difficult feature to implement:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/45364
I have no idea how it stands currently, 6.5 years later.

Cheers,

--
Tom Swartz