[aur-general] package splitting

Leonidas Spyropoulos artafinde at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 29 14:27:04 UTC 2022

Hi Thomas,

On 29/08/2022 15:34, Thomas via aur-general wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1) when is it allowed and / or good practice to split multiple
> packages by 1 PKGBUILD?
> For example I have created a package which pulls 3 debian packages and
> creates 3 Arch packages from it.
> I want to do that in 1 PKGBUILD by package splitting. Is that a good
> idea or should this avoided (if so why..)?
Simple answer - when it makes sense. On the example you describe above I
can't see a reason why 3 different packages (which would end up in 3
different packages in Arch Linux) would derive from one PKGBUILD. What's
the reasoning for doing that instead of 3 different PKGBUILDs?

> 2) I found a bug in package splitting regarding the variable "pkgdesc"
> - when in AUR: it simply gets ignored when used in package_<pkgname>
> functions.
>
> Example:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/systemd-libs-git
> -> Line 220:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=systemd-git#n220
>
> It should work though according to:
> https://archlinux.org/pacman/PKGBUILD.5.html#_package_splitting
>
> It seems to work when in the regular package database - which is using
> the same PKGBUILD as the AUR ofc:
> https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/systemd-libs/
>
> -> Is this the right place to report an issue like that?

I had to decypher a bit on what you meant by bug but I think I got it.
The pkgdesc field on split packages is ignored on the web ui and picking
the first one (?) - right?
If yes then please report as an issue at
https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/aurweb/-/issues

Cheers,

Leonidas