[aur-general] TU application for sudoforge

Ben Denhartog ben at sudoforge.com
Fri Feb 4 16:01:54 UTC 2022

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022, at 07:12, Daurnimator via aur-general wrote:
> On 30/1/22 09:27, Ben Denhartog via aur-general wrote:
>> # AUR packages that I'll move to community
>>
>> - kind (`kind-bin`)
>
> Out of curiousity: why kind?
>
> At one point I used it, but found that for all use-cases k3s (or k3d)
> was a better choice.

I wholeheartedly agree that k3s is preferred (and superior for many reasons) tool for running Kubernetes in the environments it targets (edge, arm, etc). It's actually the distribution I use for my Pi cluster (which runs a few lightweight things I want to keep local, such as dns, ad blocking, lightweight tasks, etc). I use GKE with k8s proper for everything else.

I have two use cases for Kind:

- Spinning up and running N versions of Kubernetes locally on my machine when desired, such as for testing services locally when I'm offline and unable to get networked (e.g., when traveling in remote areas, or on a plane without internet access, or really, really poor internet access). This is infrequent, but useful.

- Running tests against Kubernetes within my CI pipeline. This is a dark and cavernous rabbit hole that most people might want to run away from, but is a standard part of my infrastructure test suite. An alternative to using Kind within my cluster (which I'm in the middle of exploring) is to spin up ephemeral, separate clusters within my cloud environment.

>> - ledger-live
> I once tried to package this correctly, but it was non-trivial: at the
> time at least, it didn't neatly fit into the pattern of our existing
> electron application flows, and I recall it had a confusing build
> process (doesn't even node.js project? :/)
>
> How far have you gone down this rabbit hole?

Not that far at the moment, to be honest. The AUR package [0] is currently built using `yarn`, and is fairly straightforward, but I'm not sure what the existing electron flows are, or how this may need to be refactored to fall in line. Optimizing and standardizing this is something I'd explore in greater detail before moving it to community.

[0]: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=ledger-live