[aur-general] Request to add makedumpfile to community repo

Guilherme G. Piccoli gpiccoli at igalia.com
Fri Jan 7 20:07:52 UTC 2022

Hi folks, first of all thanks for maintaining Arch Linux - it's a very
great distro to use!

So, I'm working in a potential kdump package for Arch - I've been
working for some time in Ubuntu/Debian kdump and it was a surprise when
I started to use Arch and noticed that we don't have a kdump package (or
in case we have something, please let me know and apologies in advance).

Anyway, kdump functionality requires some components, like kexec,
makedumpfile (to collect compressed dumps - a must if you ask me) and
the crash utility to analyze the core dumps (although there are more
tools for that). Currently, both kexec and crash are present in the
official repositories (extra and community, respectively). Makedumpfile
is maintained in AUR - very well maintainer I should add, thanks to
Maurizio.

But I'd like to request, if possible, to bump makedumpfile to community
repository - I think it makes sense to have this package in the repos
along with crash and kexec, so a potential kdump package in AUR would
depend only on pre-built official packages.

I'd like to help making that happen - just let me know what I can do. By
reading the documentation in the wikis, it seems it's a good idea to
propose packages that:

- have at least some votes -> makedumpfile is OK in this respect;
- well-maintained in AUR -> ditto for makedumpfile;
- are useful -> I consider makedumpfile very useful, I'd say essential
for kdump;

So, if any TU wants to adopt it, I'd be really happy and grateful.
Thanks in advance, and please let me know your feedback on this request.

Cheers,

Guilherme