[aur-general] Subdirectories: is my workaround acceptable?

Claudia Pellegrino arch at cpellegrino.de
Thu Jun 16 16:42:16 UTC 2022

Hi fellow AUR maintainers,

Over time, I have refined my editor settings in Visual Studio Code
to make working with PKGBUILDs more enjoyable.

For example, I have added settings which, on a PKGBUILD-by-PKGBUILD
basis, enforce a consistent style throughout the whole PKGBUILD.
I also have settings to auto-enable shellcheck for linting.

For several PKGBUILDs that I maintain, I’d like to share those settings
with fellow contributors so whenever they open the directory that
contains my PKGBUILD as a workspace in VS Code, it picks up those
settings and applies them automatically so those contributors can enjoy
zero-configuration linting and consistent styling.

Now my issue here is: VS Code’s workspace-level settings live in a
.vscode subdirectory so a team of contributors can share those settings
via Git along with the project files. But I’ve noticed that aurweb
appears to enforce some kind of no-subdirectories rule [1].

I started working around that limitation by including a tarball [2] with
my PKGBUILDs instead of a .vscode directory. While aurweb would have
rejected that directory, it does accept the tarball.

- Do you find my workaround acceptable? Or would that go against the
  spirit of aurweb’s no-subdirectories rule?

- What is the rationale behind the no-subdirectories rule, anyway?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Regards,
Claudia (aka Auerhuhn)

---