[aur-requests] [PRQ#407] Deletion Request for python-argparse

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sun Aug 3 14:19:19 EDT 2014

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 at 19:12:38, Doug Newgard wrote:
> On 2014-08-03 10:15, Lukas Fleischer wrote:

> >> So upload the py3 version to the current python-argparse package, then
> >> upload a new python2-argparse. No need to remove what's there.
> >>

> > Agreed. I would also be interested in why you would like to replace a
> > split package with two separate packages?
>
> This actually makes sense to me. Most people will only want one version
> or the other of the lib, depending on what software is using it. Having
> it as a split package forces them to build both and have all the deps
> for both installed. Makes sense in a binary repo, not so much in the
> AUR.

I just built the python-argparse split package in less than three
seconds. Build time isn't a valid argument here. Also, I highly
recommend building all AUR packages inside a chroot; otherwise, you have
no control of what happens on your file system (think of broken build
scripts that ignore $(DESTDIR) etc.)

I think it is a good idea to use split packages unless there are good
reasons not to do so. Note that the AUR can also be viewed as a staging
area for source packages that might eventually be moved to the official
repositories. Not using split packages means more work for Trusted Users
and developers when moving.