[aur-requests] [PRQ#407] Deletion Request for python-argparse

Eduardo Machado eduardo.machado at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:03:45 EDT 2014

> > This actually makes sense to me. Most people will only want one version
> > or the other of the lib, depending on what software is using it. Having
> > it as a split package forces them to build both and have all the deps
> > for both installed. Makes sense in a binary repo, not so much in the
> > AUR.

I thinked just liked this after i built these packages, and therefore, i
discovered that some of then aren' t
compatible with python2 and python3, two of then are python2 only, so i had
to comment some lines to
hide the python3 part. but i thought this was a bad solution to only keep
the script ready for python3 compatibility.

> I just built the python-argparse split package in less than three
> seconds. Build time isn't a valid argument here. Also, I highly
> recommend building all AUR packages inside a chroot; otherwise, you have
> no control of what happens on your file system (think of broken build
> scripts that ignore $(DESTDIR) etc.)
>
> I think it is a good idea to use split packages unless there are good
> reasons not to do so. Note that the AUR can also be viewed as a staging
> area for source packages that might eventually be moved to the official
> repositories. Not using split packages means more work for Trusted Users
> and developers when moving.

Thinking this way you are right.

Personally i don't mind to work with one or another spec. But i would like
the advise of yours to standardize this "trade of". ;)

---
   Eduardo M. Machado
   Engenheiro de Computação
   Rio de Janeiro - RJ