[aur-requests] [PRQ#6009] Orphan Request for dpkg

Ido Rosen ido at kernel.org
Sun Jul 17 17:42:56 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Doug Newgard <scimmia at archlinux.info>
wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 12:17:40 -0400
> Ido Rosen <ido at kernel.org> wrote:
>
> > I was maintaining it - it was following Debian stable (8/jessie
> currently),
> > not unstable (sid), as I explained in the previous email to aur-requests.
> >  bertptrs is free to create his own package, and call it dpkg-unstable
> for
> > example, if he wants the unstable version.
> >
> > Are you going to follow your own policies about notifying maintainers and
> > giving them a chance to respond going forward?
> >

> As far as I can tell, you've been maintaining nothing. You put things up on
> github then tell people to submit pull requests if they want even an
> update.
> That's not maintaining a package, that's you simply wanting control.

I wish you wouldn't resort to responding ad hominem, especially when you're
in the wrong.  This month so far I've updated openonload and a couple of
other packages, created the airflow and airflow-git packages, etc. and I've
been responsive to email (clearly since I am responding to events same-day
on a Sunday afternoon), please get your facts straight. ;-)

Not even an hour passed before the package was orphaned and taken over -
there was no attempt to contact me, there was no discussion...  I'm clearly
alive and responsive as I updated several other packages just a few days
earlier.  I'm donating my time and energy to ArchLinux because I want to
help out and because it is useful, I don't understand your comment about
wanting control.  (I made lotia a co-maintainer originally, I don't care if
you add me as a maintainer or a co-maintainer, I just need it to undo the
damage that was done.  For example, if bertptrs had asked, or if there were
any notice whatsoever, I'd have happily made him a co-maintainer or
disowned the package if he had agreed to keep it tracking stable and not
unstable.)

As I already said in another reply, the problem is that the package was
> marked
> out of date for over 7 months. In those cases, the package is simply
> orphaned
> automatically, as it's obvious the maintainer isn't doing anything. The
> git log
> verifies this.

1.18.9 is the latest upstream stable release of dpkg. Upstream stable
> release
> always go into Debian Unstable, that's why Debian's "Stable" releases are
> always so far out of date.

dpkg is used to install packages from Debian-based distributions outside of
pacman.  As I said in another reply, there is a reason that I had dpkg
following the Debian stable branch and not the Debian unstable branch, they
have to do with primarily using dpkg to track Debian stable packages
(rather than Debian unstable ones, which tend to correspond to Arch
packages). There are good reasons for having both versions around, and I'd
encourage you or bertptrs to create a new package that tracks the unstable
branch if you want.   I think there used to also be a dpkg-ubuntu, which
tracks yet another branch, but it's gone now.