[aur-requests] [PRQ#10039] Deletion Request for visual-studio-code

Duru Can Celasun can at dcc.im
Mon Dec 18 19:36:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, at 20:25, Duru Can Celasun wrote:
> I wish this was opened as a comment first, instead of a deletion
> request.
>
> As I've mentioned in the pinned comment, this package doesn't have a
> -bin suffix for historical reasons. Specifically, when Visual Studio
> Code was released it was not an open source project and there was no
> indication it ever would be.
>
> By the time Microsoft decided to release it with the MIT license, the
> package was already widely used. Currently,  it's one of the 3 most
> popular packages on AUR [1]. The idea at the time was to avoid breaking
> updates for so many people by renaming. That reasoning is even more
> valid today.
>
> Nevertheless, I've pushed a new package with the -bin suffix [2].
> However, I'd like to urge everyone to reject this rename request.
> Assuming the -oss package renames itself to remove the suffix, it will
> cause tremendous confusion among users of the binary package, especially
> since the "new" package would have reduced functionality (no extension
> gallery) compared to the current binary package.
>
> As far as I can see, there is no way to use conflicts/replaces in the
> PKGBUILD to avoid the above situation. So please, let's not do this.
>

> [1]
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=&outdated=&SB=p&SO=d&PP=50&do_Search=Go
>
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/visual-studio-code-bin

One more thing I forgot to mention. The open source package [1] is not
allowed to call itself "Visual Studio Code". The Visual Studio branding
is only allowed to be used with the official binary version. The open
source product is simply called "Code - OSS" [2].

So, if anything, visual-studio-code-oss [1] should be renamed to
"code-oss" or something similar.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/visual-studio-code-oss
[2] https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/blob/master/product.json