[aur-requests] [PRQ#7438] Request Rejected

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 18:59:00 UTC 2017

Le 07/02/2017 à 19:32, Eli Schwartz via aur-requests a écrit :

>> Contacting the maintainer before filing a request is a good practice,
>> whether you ask his package to be orphaned, deleted or merged into
>> another. ;)
> Well... when I see something freaky on the AUR, I don't usually bother
> consulting the maintainer before filing a deletion request. Their
> opinion doesn't matter when they violate the AUR guidelines. :)

Yes, I hesitated a lot to add more around that, but decided to keep it
concise. Indeed, when there is a matter of rules violation, and
especially when the maintainer was already warned about that but decided
to keep going (YKWIM), this can be skipped.

> Anyway, maintainers get CC'ed so it's all good.

Yes, but as a maintainer I prefer being reached about it before
receiving a PRQ require my package to be deleted.

>> That’s OK. I’ll monitor the situation with
>> firefox-aurora/firefox-dev/firefox-developer from now on, and will wait
>> for things to be settled before accepting the current remaining requests.
> Not sure why you need to wait. :)

On firefox-aurora side, I’m waiting for the pkgdesc of firefox-developer
to be updated in order to mention it’s now also Aurora (see below), and
on firefox-dev side I’m waiting for firefox-developer to be updated,
especially in a way that <aurhelper> -S firefox-developer always
provides the latest binary of that branch.
> firefox-developer was uploaded I guess when Mozilla stopped officially
> calling it "aurora"? So their respective maintainers should figure it
> out between them, while we spectators assume good faith.

No, Firefox Developer had an independent existence from Aurora since its
creation in 2015 and until two weeks ago, when Aurora was removed in
favour of the former. Note that on Android for instance Firefox Aurora
does still exist, so people might still be used to that name.

> However, firefox-dev is a straight-up rules violation serving no
> purpose. I don't see much good faith there, and even ignorance of the
> rules doesn't justify keeping it up. It also has highly suspicious
> undertones of "hostile takeover", although I am not sure why anyone
> might care that much... the deletion request for firefox-developer kinda
> triggered me.

I definitively agree with you, and firefox-dev should never have been
updated while denvit would have had to wait for jnbek to update its
package. But the fact is firefox-developer is severely outdated
(pulseaudio deps should be here for a while for instance), and while
jnbek isn’t inactive and answered he wanted to keep this package, it has
not yet been updated, while firefox-dev is working almost OK.

Regards,
Bruno