[aur-requests] [PRQ#8462] Merge Request for r-cran-curl

Georg g.schlisio at dukun.de
Wed Jul 12 08:03:13 UTC 2017

Hi Nils,

I agree that in the first place the AUR should just work.
Therefore we need an appropriate naming scheme for R packages. The
Archwiki page on R [0] does not refer to any packages but advocates
installing via the internal module management of R.
This might be useful for private scipts and stuff, but since other
packages cannot depend on that, we still need R packages in the AUR.
The Arch packaging standards [1] do not state anything applicable and
there are also no R packaging guidelines at the moment. Looking at the
Perl packaging standards [2] I notice, that even though perl packages
are (presumably) mostly from CPAN, perl packages are named perl-$modulename.
Thus I think we should set up a wiki page "R packaging guidelines" and
fix the R-specific rules there. Once we agreed on those, we can begin
adapting packages to the new rules.
Following the example of perl this could well imply a naming scheme like
r-$modulename.

That said, I do not have the time to do all this at the moment. I dont
use R and its modules at all atm, I just update them when an update
comes in. I keep track of updates with a Firefox extension whose name I
dont remember now. If you are interested, I can find it out for you.

Best
Georg

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/R#Installing_R_packages
[1]