[aur-requests] [PRQ#11075] Merge Request for flawfinder

PythonShell pythonshell at yeah.net
Sun Apr 8 15:22:21 UTC 2018

I am not clear with the rules for python package, like the difference between application and library. Sorry for this.

flawfinder can run with both python2 and python3. Which runtime should the package use? I believe other python-app maintainer has the same problem, but I found no answer, neither in the wiki nor in the aur.

I think it is more friendly to provide selection between python2 and python3. User shall figure out the flawfinder is depend on python, and can choose which one to use. In my opinion, it shall be the users' duty to decide which python to use.

If I am supposed to follow the python name instruction, I think I shall use python2 to pack the package, cause the upstream is using python2 subconsciously.

But it is more likely, the python community would like to recommend python3, not python2. The latter will not be maintained past 2020.

Another idea is the PKGBUILD checks python3 then python2, use the higher if exists.

Looking for suggestions.

--
yours

在2018年04月06 19时18分, "Levente Polyak"<anthraxx at archlinux.org>写道:

On April 6, 2018 1:08:56 PM GMT+02:00, notify--- via aur-requests <aur-requests at archlinux.org> wrote:
>phillid [1] filed a request to merge flawfinder [2] into python-
>flawfinder [3]:
>
>Maintainer seems to have ditched flawfinder package and created a new
>one (python-flawfinder, and python2-flawfinder) without filing merge
>request to effect a quasi-rename

Which is totally the wrong way around, this is an application not a library and python2-flawfinder shouldn't even exist (besides its calling setup.py with python3).