[aur-requests] [PRQ#11075] Merge Request for flawfinder

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 8 15:43:14 UTC 2018

On 04/08/2018 11:22 AM, PythonShell via aur-requests wrote:
> I am not clear with the rules for python package, like the difference
> between application and library. Sorry for this.
>
> flawfinder can run with both python2 and python3. Which runtime should
> the package use? I believe other python-app maintainer has the same
> problem, but I found no answer, neither in the wiki nor in the aur.
>
> I think it is more friendly to provide selection between python2 and
> python3. User shall figure out the flawfinder is depend on python, and
> can choose which one to use. In my opinion, it shall be the users' duty
> to decide which python to use.
>
> If I am supposed to follow the python name instruction, I think I shall
> use python2 to pack the package, cause the upstream is using python2
> subconsciously.
>
> But it is more likely, the python community would like to recommend
> python3, not python2. The latter will not be maintained past 2020.
>
> Another idea is the PKGBUILD checks python3 then python2, use the higher
> if exists.
>
> Looking for suggestions.
>
> --
> yours

The rules are as already stated.

Software should use python 3 by default, in keeping with the policy to
always use the latest version of everything. If it is only compatible
with python2, it should use python2 *because there is no other choice*.

Packages are named after the software they provide. This software is not
called "python-flawfinder", it is called "flawfinder".

The name python-flawfinder, or more generally python-${appname}, is
*only* appropriate for use, when the thing which is installed is a
shared python library module which is used in other applications but is
not itself an application to run. For example, python-requests,
python-beautifulsoup4, python-chardet, python-html5lib, etc.

Some badly behaved person removed this from the wiki though.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User