[aur-requests] [PRQ#11108] Deletion Request for emacs-rudel-bzr

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Apr 11 02:01:57 UTC 2018

On 04/10/2018 09:51 PM, Stefan Husmann wrote:
> It may be doable but it is not easy. someone would have to write a tool
> that does something like what is done by cabal2arch for haskell packages
> for emacs lisp packages. No-one has written such a tool yet.
>
> As far as I understand the process, package.el loads e single emacs lisp
> file from git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git which takes care for
> the rest, i.e. fetching stuff from sourceforge, installing them locally
> in a subdirectory of the user's home directory and integrating them into
> the emacs infrastructure. Repeating these steps in bash for makepkg is
> tedious.

Well, if it is just a matter of the source code moving elsewhere, I'm
not sure why that matters, since the current package does this anyway.
It sounds like it would be a simple matter of modifying the checkout to
clone from git instead of bzr, switching the pkgname suffix, and
uploading to a new pkgbase.

But of course, if no one is interested in maintaining this regardless,
then lack of interest in switching to the git checkout would be reason
enough to just get rid of this package altogether. I guess since it
would need to be either deleted or merged, there's no real reason to
first see if anyone cares enough to upload a git package... it's not
like there are votes to preserve via merging.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User