[aur-requests] [PRQ#10498] Deletion Request for signal-desktop

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 6 15:56:11 UTC 2018

On 02/06/2018 08:56 AM, mrxx wrote:
> I have not created signal-desktop because of its unnecessary
> dependencies but because of the lack of maintanership of 'signal' for
> weeks until it got a new maintainer. I thought it would be a good idea
> to keep a security-related package up-to-date. It wasn't.

That is what orphan requests are for. Not cluttering the AUR with
duplicate packages that both claim to be the exact same thing, except
one is maintained and one isn't.

>> If those warnings are valuable, why doesn't the signal package have
>> them? Rather than uploading a ragefork.
>
> Again, I've not uploaded this "ragefork" (whatever that means) because
> of a lack of warnings. In contrast to many other maintainers including
> the one of 'signal', I always test my packages on fresh installations of
> all major desktops and discovered the problems myself. Sorry again for
> this unprofessional approach.

Ah, so you would say there is no reason to ever use the signal package?
Again, if it needed to be fixed in either one, it should have been fixed
in the existing package rather than forking it.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User